The Cultivate Collective presents a programme of heritage events, talks and live performances leading up to South Africa’s National Heritage Day on 24 September 2021.
The programme highlights the natural history, arts and culture, music, and wine through a line-up of prominent historians, musicians, cultural figures and winemakers.
The Cultivate Collective is a marketplace in Salt River that features a wine bar, a collaborative retail store, a tasting room, and an events space.
The heritage programme has been curated by Zahira Asmal with diversity of thought and representation in mind, and honours the depth and breadth of South African culture and context. Zahira established the Cultivate Collective in 2020 and has initiated and developed numerous large-scale creative and cultural projects with global reach – always focused on the making of a young democracy.
Wednesday, 15 September
– 5.30pm: Angus McIntosh, aka Farmer Angus, speaks on regenerative farming.
– 6.30pm to 7pm: Wine Tasting with Cultivate member Tania Kleintjies, the organic winemaker at Spier.
Thursday, 16 September
– 5.30pm – Lungiswa Plaatjies gives a live performance of African music played on indigenous instruments.
Saturday, 18 September
– 12pm: Pinotage Blending Experience with Cultivate members Natasha Boks and Merecia Smith.
Wednesday, 22 September 2021
-5.30pm : African Bush Camps founder Beks Ndlovu will give a relaxed talk on natural heritage and exploring southern Africa.
– 6.30 to 7pm: Sommelier Sessions with Cultivate friend Joseph Tongai Dhafana of Mosi Wines & Spirits & Cultivate member Lennox Nyengera of Ynguys Tours, who is the sommelier at Chefs Warehouse.
Thursday, 23 September 2021
– 5.30pm: Athi-Patra Ruga and Anelisa Mangcu tell the story of the 200-year-old Lovedale Press.
Thursday, 30 September 2021
– 5.30pm: HER|Story told by researcher and historian Tracey Randle.
– 6.30pm to 7pm: Cultivate member and winemaker Praisy Dlamini presents a tasting of HER wines.
Attendance numbers are limited to 40 guests per session. Guests can follow Cultivate on Social Media and check its Facebook Events for the latest updates. Talks are approximately 30 minutes long, followed by a 15-minute QnA with the audience. Wine tastings are approximately 30 minutes long.
Venue: Cultivate, Unit C3, Salt Orchard, 45 Yew St, Salt River, Cape Town
Time: All events start at 17h30
Tel: 087 057 6619
Facebook: @Cultivate-Collective-100822082315501 | Cultivate Collective Events