The San at the !Khwa ttu Heritage Centre hosts its 3rd annual Heritage Festival, which aims to celebrate a fusion of South African cultures in the 4-day long festival.
!Khwa ttu is a project by Swiss Ubuntu Foundation and San community, represented by WIMSA (Working Group for Indigenous Minorities in Southern Africa) that celebrates San culture. They provide training to the San community in various life skills, restores and protects the cultural heritage, educates the general public and promotes the long-term financial sustainability of San development in southern Africa.
The !Khwa ttu Heritage Festival is a family-friendly event and is the perfect way to kick off the school holidays which coincides with the Cape West Coast flower season.
– Kids Zone with face-painting and arts & crafts activities
– San inspired kids treasure hunt, story-telling and fun interactive sessions
– Traditional Bushmen Dancers and Emile Jansen’s performances
– Join in and learn traditional Bushmen / Break / Krump / Riel and Street Dance moves
– Tractor rides to the replica San village with animal tracking and San language lessons
– Tour of the world-class interactive Heritage Centre
– Informative talks on the San culture and heritage
– !Khwa ttu homemade herbal tea tastings
– Pop-up food demonstrations – such as how to “vleg” koeksisters
– West Coast craft and traditional food stalls
– West Coast braai and halal food options
Fun Mountain Bike Ride – 24 September at 9 am @R150 pp | 2 children u/18 free with every adult
In addition to food stalls, visitors can dine at !Khwa ttu’s Restaurant offering their popular eland burger, spekboom soup and Darling cheese and charcuterie platters.
For the weekend only !Khwa ttu makes available 50 camping spots near the Heritage Centre for those who want to spend the night in their own tent. Visitors can be close to the activities and enjoy the scenery Amenities include toilets, showers and braai facilities. (No power outlets on the campsite).
Venue: !Khwa ttu, Grootwater Farm, R27, Yzerfontein
Time: 10am to 4pm
Cost: R70 per day | 2 Kids under 18 years free with every adult | Pensioners R60