The Book Lounge and the Fugard Theatre present the annual Open Book Festival, a literary festival with a focus on South African literature in an international context. The festival includes over 150 literary events, featuring over 100 authors over 5 days. Although the events are spread across Cape Town and its surrounds, the hub of the festival takes place at the Fugard.
The festival was founded to bring the best literature in the world to Cape Town, to promote South African writing internationally, and to make books and literature more accessible to young readers. The Open Book Festival has sub-events with particular focuses, such as:
- Poetica (a 2-day-long programme of events focused on poetry)
- Comic Book Fest (focus on comic books and graphic novels)
- Authors (number of panel discussions, workshops, presentations and other events focused on authors)
- the Youth Programme (a number of events that focuses on encouraging a love for books among young people)
- #cocreatePoetica (a collaboration highlighting poetry and spoken word)
2019 times to be confirmed.
“The Open Book Festival programme was once again an impressive chocolate box selection of both award-winning authors and new releases, but what instantly captured my attention was the Literary Activists panel.” Read Benn Van Der Westhuizen’s review of the Open Book Festival.