The 7th annual Poetry in McGregor Festival, renowned for its warm-hearted and intimate atmosphere, has become one of the most popular poetry festivals on the continent.
The theme this year is ‘The Heart of the Moon’ and includes readings, workshops, music and poetry, open mic opportunities and lots of time for poets and friends of poetry from across the country to get acquainted.
This annual gathering is not only an opportunity to listen to and appreciate a wide range of poetic voices but also an occasion to relax in an informal, unhurried atmosphere.
After all, it is in such a warm-hearted celebration that lovers of poetry can commit themselves to a shared passion of nurturing and promoting the art of poetry.
Among the many events on this year’s programme are:
– Poets on their Favourite Poems with Joan Hambidge, Michelé Betty, Sally Ann Murray and Brian Walter.
– Eros by Bernard Levinson, presented by Malcolm Gooding and Quinne Brown; Poetry and Jazz with Douglas Reid Skinner and Christopher Culpo.
– Being Human – John Maytham introduced by scriptwriter, Finuala Dowling.
– The Moon – Luna Paige.
– Proefiet van Adam Smal,djy – Willem Fransman Jr.
– Black Thoughts Revisited – Rev Micahel Weeder, Thokozile Madonkop, Zane Dangor and Makhanda Senzagakhhona.
– Readings by Kobus Moolman, Sindiwe Magona, Phillipa Namutebi, Toast Coetzer, Erns Grundling, Dan Wylie, Pieter Odendaal, Dominque Enthoven, Lerato Sibanda, Hugh Hodge, Julia Kramer, Andries Walter Olifant and many more.
– The Moon’s a Balloon – The Pleached Poetry Group (Annette Snykers, Alice Sarembrock and Lise Day Newham).
– The Moon Within, The Moon Without with Dorian Haarhoff, Marguerite Van der Merwe, Peter Fox and Gerald Steward.
– Moon Poems – Heidi van Rooyen.
– Moonlighters with Margaret Clough, Geoffrey Haresnape and Stephanie Saunders.
– Full Moon, Dark Sky – Archie Swanson and Jacques Coetzee.
– Reik vir die Maan – The Mengelmoes Digters (Diana Ferrus, Merle Danhouse, Gaireyah Fredericks, Jackie Saaiman).
– The Moon – Luna Paige.
– Mettie Maan gepla – Jadrick Pedro, Duane Miller, Gaireyah Fredericks, The Mengelmoes Digters.
– Finger Pointing at the Moon – Dawn Garisch, Karin Schimke and Liesl Jobson.
– Knocking on the Moonlit Door – Patricia Schonstein.
– The Gathering Moon with Sally Argent, Bob Commin, Cornelia Rohde and Elizabeth Trew.
– The Heart of the Harvest Moon / Oesmaanhart – Sandra Hill and Ilse Olkers.
– The Heart of the Moon – Thandi Sliepen.
Venue: Temenos Retreat, Bree St, McGregor