UPDATES: The Two Oceans Aquarium is open daily with strict Covid-19 protocols in place. These include capacity management, hand sanitiser, mandatory masks, some interactive exhibits, and crawl spaces temporarily closed for the safety of our visitors.
They are giving away one annual membership daily to one lucky visitor from 15 to 24 December. The Aquarium hours are extended to 7pm from 26 December to 10 January.
The Two Oceans Aquarium, celebrating 25 years of showcasing South Africa’s marine biodiversity, offers more than 8000 animals in 7 exhibits, including a room full of eerily-lit jellyfish, an underwater tunnel, and the I&J Ocean Exhibit, which offers scuba diving opportunities for qualified divers.
Visitors can also get coffee and meals at the onsite restaurant, Bootlegger Coffee Company, and the Aquarium Shop with its marine-themed merchandise available.
For the safety, wellbeing and comfort of all its visitors, the Aquarium has introduced a range of health and safety measures in line with the latest Government regulations and a Covid-19 workplace-ready plan has been compiled and implemented.
Some of the measures include:
– Online bookings and ticket purchases are encouraged, and contactless payment options will also be available at the Aquarium’s ticket office.
– Upon arrival, all visitors will be screened for Covid-19 symptoms and will have their temperatures taken
– Visitors who are feeling ill or experiencing flu-like symptoms will be requested to postpone their visit.
– All visitors (two years and up) must wear masks for the duration of their visit. Masks are available for sale at the Aquarium should visitors have left theirs at home.
– The visitor capacity of the Aquarium will be closely managed at all times to ensure ample space for physical distancing at 2m between visitors. Visitors entering and exiting the Aquarium will be counted and visitor numbers will be restricted to 50% of the Aquarium’s capacity, based on the public space available.
– Floor guides will be present to guide Aquarium visitors along the one-way route through the building.
– Hand sanitiser will be freely available to all visitors throughout the Aquarium.
– No eating or drinking will be allowed in the Aquarium so that visitors can keep their masks on at all times. Bootlegger Coffee Company will be open to satisfy hungry appetites.
– Cleaning personnel will be stationed throughout the Aquarium and will continuously clean and sanitise, especially around high-contact areas such as handrails, door handles and the activation buttons of certain exhibits.
– There will be regular announcements throughout the day reminding staff and visitors about safety protocols.
Some of the Aquarium’s exhibits and offerings will be temporarily closed in the interest of visitor safety. These include:
– Some of the crawl-through exhibits will not be open.
– Advertised feed presentations have been temporarily suspended, but animal feeds will continue to take place and visitors will still be able to see divers in the large exhibits at various times of the day.
– The I&J Children’s Play Centre has been closed, although the ever-popular puppet shows will be presented in the Aquarium’s Auditorium. This will ensure sufficient space for physical distancing and better control of numbers.
Penguin Experiences will not be available for the time being.
Venue: Dock Rd, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town
Time: Weekdays 9.30am to 6pm | Weekends and Public Holidays 9am to 6pm